Thursday, July 21, 2011

Evolution

I think I've kinda become the type of person I want to be.

It's taken quite a while, and I'm not completely sure, but I'm definitely content with how I am.

I've been watching a lot of tv concerning teenagers lately, especially American stuff, like Glee. And a common theme with so many of these showa is the idea of cliques and social groups. We always see them-the joks, the cheerleaders, the stoners, the geeks, the goths... These ideas are pretty familiar to most people. For the most part we've grown up with them and it's kind of a part of people to look down on the nerds and strive to be the popular kids. It seems, because of tv, that we are constantly being placed in a stereotype and treated in accordance with how society dictates that we should be treated.

At least, that's for the most part. Then you come to someone like me.

I am a self confessed nerd. I do all I can to get good grades and I'm pretty smart. I went to nerd camp and have nerdy enough interests. I'm an 18 year old girl who loves Pokemon, Harry Potter and RPGs. Yet, anyone who knows me also knows how driven I am artistically. I love to sing, dance, act- basically perform. I also love to paint and create works of, I hope, art. I've also been a jock most of my life, obsessed with sports, yet my interests and speech often classify me as 'posh' or 'preppy'. How many people my age own a horse and compete in horseriding events? I have my dark moments, so I could be seen as goth or emo, I love rock music and often go to gigs so I could be a rocker. I'm a tranquil person, so perhaps a hippie. There are so many sides to me, I don't fit into one type.

Yet I've tried them all.

And none of them suited me.

I am not just one thing. There are so many options for me in my life. I'm all of these things, little bits of them all.

In reality though, they all add up to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment