Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I Could Build A House From These Writer's Blocks

Recently (in an effort to distract me from studying for the mock examinations I am in the middle of taking at the moment) I have started writing a Harry Potter fan fiction based around his daughter, Lily Luna. (Sorry if that spoiled anything for anyone, but honestly the book has been out for years now. If you haven't read it by now you deserve it to be spoiled for you.)

All in all it's been going pretty well. I will be the first to admit that it's a cheese fest and ridiculously romantic and easy to write, but it has me writing and that's all I care about at the moment.

Or rather, it had me writing.

I'm five chapters in and I sat down today to get started on the sixth.

AND I COULDN'T THINK OF ANYTHING.

Everytime I tried writin something it was just terrible. I honestly can't think of anything to move the plot forward or how I want to continue with the story.

Mind you, I had a huge five hour exam tooday and have been falling asleep, so that could be a reason for my current state of mine.

Still, here I am. Here I have a moment where I could actually do something and write something. And I just can't. I gotta say, I'm glad I don't work to deadlines.

How do people get rid of writer's block? I've tried a few things like reading other stuff or walking away from it but nothing is really working. I just don't seem to be too happy with what I'm writing anyway. It's not what I normally write. Just something I thought I'd try.

I based some of my characters loosely on my friends, but I will admit that I used some of my own personal atributes and personality traits for the different characters. I think with writing you do have to put a bit of yourself into what you write. You have to personalise it in certain ways to really create something strong that people will be drawn to. That way it means somethingto you and you will work harder at it to create something wonderful that you really, truly care about.

I didn't intentionally put myself into my characters. That's just how I write. It's easier to write about what you know, so why not take advantage of the life that you've led and use it in your writing to create something magical.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6715280/1/Green_Ribbons Follow this link if you want to read the story I'm trying to write.

In other news, I got my Deathly Hallows t shirt today and it's "totally awesome" (AVPM FTW). Mocks are going on and draining me of life and energy.

Wish me luck! x

1 comment:

  1. hey.. You have shared a good article with us. I like to see your blog with lot of informatic stuff.
    Tank Top

    ReplyDelete